Monday, May 31, 2010

Question: Is putting sunglasses on a baby cruel, appropriate or hilarious?

Today's question comes again from Lola, who is the best most prolific among (all 3 of) you at suggesting questions.

I'm going to assume that the question has nothing to do with actually protecting the baby from the evil rays of the sun and is more about using your baby as a comedy prop.  It should come as no surprise that I am a big fan of laughter at the expense of babies.

I spent months trying to get a good picture of my daughter, back when she was a colicky little bucket of hell, waiting for an unlikely moment where her face might accidentally fall into a passable approximation of a smile. A few came close. but none of them had any resemblance to what my daughter actually looked like for the other 86,399 seconds of the day.  One day I finally just took a picture of her when she was screaming her lungs out and it was the most satisfying, cathartic, and authentic picture I had even taken.  Was it cruel of me to spend the time taking a picture while my infant daughter was suffering trauma du second?  Maybe, but looking at that picture gave me solace.

So, yes, mock your baby.  Dress it in ridiculous clothing.  Train it to talk like a drunkard.  Take embarrassing photos of it every chance you get.  Parenting is fraught with pain, failure, and fear, so take the comedy where you can get it.

As for the specific question about sunglasses on a baby?  That's probably just cheesy, unless it's the Groucho Marx kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment