Monday, May 10, 2010

Question: Should I find out the gender of my baby ahead of time?

Good question!  Like all good questions there are two sides to this story.

Some people are control freaks who, even before the baby exits the womb, have applied to the best preschools, started a college savings plan, and picked out the shade of Italian marble for the family tomb.  These people not only want to know the sex of their unborn baby in order to make the best wardrobe decisions, but will also sign up for 23andMe to find any genetic markers indicating the gender of their grandchildren.

Other parents cherish the surprise and mystery of child birth.  They seek to maximize the wonder and magic of baby's emergence from the womb and don't really see how knowing the gender of their child does much good.

So, is there an answer to this question or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Of course there's an answer!  Why would I lead off this blog with an unanswerable question?  The answer is: Yes!

Look, everything about your baby is going to be a surprise.  Your baby is going to shock and horrify you in ways that you never imagined.  It's going to crap in surprising ways.  It's going to get surprising diseases.  When it gets older, it'll pick a surprising career.  Supreme Court Justice or Serial Killer?  Nobody knows.  SURPRISE!

So for the love of god, if you have the chance to learn the tiniest bit of useful information about your child-to-be, take it!  Even if this information only allows you to prepare mentally instead of warddrobely, take it!  You're not going to be prepared for anything for the next couple decades, so grasp on to this tiny straw of knowledge and suck at it! 

Those kooks (no offense, kooks!) who want to keep secrets from themselves during the pregnancy?  They are wrong, misguided, and can get their own damn blog.

2 comments:

  1. I am clearly a kook. I found out the sex of #1, but decided to be surprised for #2 and #3. (just the fact that I HAD #2 and #3 makes me a kook, right?) Anyways, I was sure #2 was a girl and I was right. A wonderful confirmation. Then I was positive #3 was boy and was wrong. Thank GOD! A sweet mistake. I liked not knowing. But that's how kooks are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue. Well, you may be a kook, but you seem to be a pretty good parent, so I'll cut you some slack.

    ReplyDelete