Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Question: Cloth or disposable diapers?

There's a lot of information on this topic and I'm not really sure how much of it is reliable.  I can easily find studies online that show that cloth diapers are the more environmentally correct answer, but I can also find studies that show that the environmental impact of reusing cloth diapers can rival that of disposables.  I suspect that Huggies and Pampers people are probably behind the latter studies, but I suppose it makes sense that if you live in a place like California, where drought is a constant threat, that  a washable cloth diaper might not be the right answer.

So, let's approach this from another angle.

Diapers are filled with crap.  On a scale from Roses to Crap, crap scores a perfect Crap.  It is terrible terrible stuff.  You need to do whatever you can to get the crap as far away from you as quickly as possible.  Seriously.  Crap.

If you are concerned about your carbon footprint, I applaud you.  I also will forgive you if you choose to give the planet the finger here and use diapers made out of old-growth redwoods and baby harp seal ears.

Save yourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment