Saturday, May 15, 2010

Question: What kind of stroller should I buy?

It's probably clear by this point that I don't really care for babies.  I'm sure YOUR baby is/will-be awesome, but all the other babies are expensive, selfish, terrible conversationalists, and they don't even wipe their own butts.   How much do you like hanging out with people who can't be bothered to wipe their own butts?  Me either.

What do I like even less than babies?  Strollers.

Look, even if your kid likes riding in a stroller (and mine, like many, did NOT), once you get where you're going, you've got this big unwieldy stroller to deal with.  Plus, while the kid is in the stroller, you're pretty disconnected from him.  While I am a big proponent of disconnecting often from your kid, I wasn't necessarily interested in doing so each time I needed to walk somewhere.

So, here's what I recommend.

1) Strollers can cost over $1,000.  That is NUTS.  Spend as little as possible and save the rest of your money for a college fund or Xanax.

2) Don't get a giant stroller.  Although it's nice to have multiple cup-holders and a sizable luggage rack, you will be annoyed having to maneuver an SUV-sized stroller.   Go for maneuverability!  Seriously, see how easily and tightly the stroller turns.

3) Get one that folds up EASILY.  If it takes 3 hands and a diagram to fold up your stroller, you have chosen poorly.

Better yet, carry your baby or strap it to you.  As I mentioned earlier, I don't even like babies, but you gotta keep an eye on the things or they'll start smoking or something.

1 comment:

  1. My least favorite stroller moments were these: Walking around Stow Lake with a kid who was supposed to be in said stroller, but was actually in my arms while I was pushing said stroller. Once of the worst parenting experiences. Should have just carried the kid in the first place.

    ReplyDelete