Friday, May 28, 2010

Question: How do you deal with the inevitable change that comes with teenagerhood?

Today's question comes from Lola.

Lola, I have to be honest with you.  My kid is only 10, so I'm probably not the right guy to answer this question.  Plus, I don't have much personal experience in this area because as far as I recall (and my parents will back me up on this), I was a pretty well-behaved teenager.  I guess I was a late bloomer because my years of sloth and debauchery didn't kick in until later (and are apparently still going).

But, I've certainly heard the horror stories of sweet children turning into sullen moody monsters once puberty has laid waste everything that was innocent and good in them.  Those tales are alarming, but my take on this period of development might be different from the norm (big surprise there).

Part of me is looking forward to my daughter shrugging off the optimism and sunshine of youth.  I mean, it's adorable and all, but I find it a little hard to relate to a Pollyanna who literally twirls with delight when she sees a pretty flower.  I think maybe I have something more in common with the kid who rolls their eyes at a particularly beautiful rose.  You take my kid, add a dash of rebellion and a pinch of jadedness and maybe you get someone who I've got a chance of relating to.

I am, however, fully prepared for my friends to throw this particular blog post in my face once my daughter becomes one of these teenage monsters.  I've asked for it.

But, Lola, I say bring on the teenager.  It'll be nice for me to have another one in the house.

2 comments:

  1. Bring on the teenager? It is clear that while you may still retain traces of sloth and debauchery, you never experienced the wrath of a teenager not getting her own way. That means not being able to come and go as she pleases, taking your food, accommodation, facilities and money for granted, expecting rides not just in the local area but some considerable distance, even at 2 a.m., occupying the family telephone (and telephone bill) from 6 p.m. until midnight (there was only one phone in those days) and continual, outrageous rudeness to the point of criminality. And that's before you factor in the smoking, drugs and staying out all night.

    Maybe it was just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, I'm sure somebody is going to throw this post in my face when my daughter goes crazy with teenage rebellion.

    ReplyDelete