Sunday, May 16, 2010

Question: How can I get my baby to sleep through the night?

If there's one parenting issue that I've thought about deeply and seriously for years, it's this one.  My daughter was a terrible sleeper for many many years, so I learned a lot.  Thus, I give you my answer with a large amount of certainty. 

The answer is:  do the opposite of everything I did.
  1. Don't try to get your kid to sleep in a bassinet/crib as soon as possible.
  2. Don't try a different strategy and bring your kid into your bed for a few days.
  3. Don't Ferberize for a few weeks and then let your kid get sick or have anything else occur that messes with the sleep schedule
  4. Don't doggedly stick to one strategy.
  5. Don't see-saw back and forth between approaches.
Pretty simple, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment