Friday, May 14, 2010

Question: Should I have a baby?

Well, odds are that if you're reading this, it's probably already too late to ask that question.  I mean, if you're on the verge of becoming a parent, then, yes, you should have that damn baby.

If, however, you stumbled onto this blog before you impregnated someone (or become pregnant) then this is worthy of discussion.  The answer is:

Beats me.

My baby was terrible.  My life was a living hell for several years after she was born, a combination of crying torture and sleep deprivation.  I am not a religious man, but I literally prayed for death for many nights during that period.  My prayers were unanswered, and now I've got a pretty good kid.  I guess that's a happy ending, but it doesn't say much about the power of prayer.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that if you can guarantee that your kids turns out pretty good, like mine did, then, yes, have a kid!  If however, your kid is going to be one of those serial killer/glenn beck kids, then, no.  We're full up on serial killers and Glenn Becks.

If you're not sure....then, no.

2 comments:

  1. People romanticize babies. I get so frustrated when people have a baby just because "it's what everyone does". If you don't really, really, really want a child, don't have one. It will completely change your life in many unexpected ways (most of which are good, I think). But your life won't be about "you" anymore, it will be about the baby and what it needs. Espcially at 4am in the morning. Hell time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, yeah, I agree, except that often you don't really know whether you want a kid until after you have them. I know a lot of guys who just kind of went along with the plan, and then decided it was a good idea after the fact.

    ReplyDelete